Let me begin by saying I think the
movies and popular culture have college wrong. In the movies, the college
student is incredibly cultured, intellectual, and somehow manages to balance
their classes, a job, their student orgs, a social life without getting fat off
of booze, and pursuing the future career of their dreams. I’m calling bull
shit. Forget being mad at the media for creating unattainable body ideals for
men and women, I am more upset at the creation of unattainable goals for
college students. It is incredibly difficult to stay on top of all these
things, not to mention keeping your sanity in the process. Even now as I write
this, I am avoiding doing something that most certainly should be taking
priority. But as always, I digress. Writing is an incredibly comfortable and
familiar feeling and when someone is stressed, we always turn to what is
comfortable and familiar. And so here I am yet again, putting thoughts onto
paper in what is an attempt at an organized manner. I hope that for any of you
reading this who are in college and are currently having one of those stressed
out moments I like to affectionately refer to as running around like a chicken
with its head cut off, know that you are not alone. I too have these ridiculous
moments whether they last for a day or for a week. Take a deep breath, you can
get through it. Now tell me that I can as well, dear reader, because it seems
as though I am the chicken right now.
Now that we have acknowledged that
I do not have it together as it may appear from the outside, let’s continue on.
Usually I spend a fair bit of time mulling over my thoughts before I put
fingers to keyboard from my posts. I like to organize my ideas to fit into a
certain theme which I focus my writing on. This time however, I am hiding in
the back of my history class, looking very studious typing away on this post
and in fact not taking notes on the Islamic Empire. But honestly, can one man really
manage to go on as many tangents as my professor does? It must be wearing off
on me however, because I too am off on a tangent. My apologizes dear reader.
Life for me has had some changes
since I last posted. I have been so busy I have lost sight of some of my priorities.
One that I find to be particularly high in my regard is always finding time for
yourself and remembering to have fun. I believe these two things are vastly
important in both avoiding becoming “the chicken” as well as the mentality of
not letting life pass you by. So often we look forward to the next thing: graduating
school, finding a job, starting a family. Not to dismiss the excitement that
comes along with those things, but we often imagine our lives within the
mentality of the “someday,” well that someday is today and your life is
happening right now. My life is happening right now. And so this post serves to
remind myself, and you too dear reader if you need reminding, enjoy your life
right now. Spend an hour and do something because you enjoy it, not because it
is a requirement. Don’t be the chicken. You do not want to look back on your
life once you have reached that someday with regrets that you can no longer
change.
-T
No comments :
Post a Comment